These are the Edinburgh Uni locations with the highest instances of sexual assault

Pollock Halls has the highest percentage of sexual assault of any halls

Two weeks ago, The Tab Edinburgh launched a survey in liaison with the Instagram account, Edi-Anonymous. The purpose of the survey is to catalogue experiences of sexual assault throughout the University of Edinburgh.

The survey received 263 responses detailing experiences throughout the city and University campus. From these responses, the Tab Edinburgh has been able to compile statistics showing the most common locations, societies and events where sexual harassment occurs in Edinburgh.

78 per cent of students have experienced harassment in clubs throughout the city

Of our responses, the majority of readers said they had experienced some form of harassment in Edinburgh clubs. Readers also mentioned being assaulted in their own flats, during house parties, or even in the middle of the street on the way home from a night out. One student’s response said: “[It’s] just part of the culture of a night out.”

54 per cent of students have experienced some form of sexual harassment at a University event

In terms of the University itself, 53 per cent of those who experienced unsolicited sexual advances were at Freshers or Refreshers events, with 46.5 per cent saying they were harassed at society events or balls. A student’s response said: “A friend I thought I trusted was touching me but blamed it on being drunk.”

Potterrow has the highest percentage of sexual assault of any Uni venue

The university venues with the highest number of incidences reported was Potterrow, with 70.4 per cent of those who had experienced harassment in a university venue. Additionally, 22.4 per cent of respondents reported some form of sexual harassment at the student union, otherwise known as Teviot.

Pollock Halls has the highest percentage of sexual assault of any Uni halls

20 per cent of respondents said they were assaulted in a halls of residence. Pollock Halls has the highest percentage of these assaults with 44 per cent. Kincaid’s Court has the other majority of reported sexual assaults with 22 per cent.

In response to these claims, a University spokesperson told The Tab:

“The University does not tolerate sexual violence within its community, and takes any reports very seriously.

“We are working closely with the Students’ Association and Sports Union to develop a strategy aimed at preventing and responding better to sexual violence.

“As part of this strategy, we aim to encourage more students to disclose to the University that they are survivors of sexual violence, reduce incidences of sexual violence through education and culture change, and support survivors better.

“Significant investment has been directed to help us achieve these aims. This includes the recent appointment of a Sexual Violence and Harassment Liaison Manager, who will provide support for survivors of sexual violence and harassment, as well as overseeing the new ‘Report & Support’ platform, which will make it easier to report such incidents.

“We are working with a wide range of groups across Edinburgh to tackle sexual violence. We are part of the ‘Fearless Edinburgh’ partnership, which brings together Edinburgh College, Police Scotland and the NHS. We are also working with frontline support groups such as Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre, and funding more support for survivors through them.

“A range of confidential help and support is available for anyone affected, with the Students’ Association Advice Place providing frontline support for those who have experienced sexual violence, harassment or assault.”

Related stories recommended by this writer

83 per cent of Edi students know someone who’s experienced sexual assault, survey reveals

Take The Tab Edinburgh’s sexual assault survey 2020

Edinburgh student allegedly stealthed by uni staff member