Masks, queues and 7 pm lectures: here’s what Edi Uni will look like in September

The University will continue to follow Scottish government guidelines

Edinburgh Vice-Principal Colm Harmon sent an email to students detailing what to expect on campus this year amidst the pandemic.

Campus will have a number of new guidelines that will allow some in person classes and activities to resume safely.

The email states: “Any on-campus teaching activities will be carried out in line with government guidance.”

Lectures will continue to be online, but the Uni “will be offering as much of our small-class teaching activities (such as seminars, tutorials and lab work) as we can.”

Physical distancing will be in place in University venues with a reduction in the number of people allowed in buildings.

In addition to these changes, “our teaching day will be extended by two hours, to 9 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday.”

The email also says: “If you have an on-campus lecture, class or seminar, you may now need to queue outside of the building until it begins.”

Campus will also be implementing hygiene measures such as hand washing and sanitising facilities and one-way systems inside of buildings.

Harmon also addressed the issue of masks on campus: “In line with Scottish Government guidance, it is now mandatory that face coverings are worn in all of our libraries and study spaces.”

Masks will be mandatory in the library

With regard to the library and other study spaces, he wrote: “While the number of study spaces we can offer will be reduced so we can observe physical distancing, we have increased the number of rooms and buildings available to study and from September, you’ll be able to pre-book the majority of study spaces via an app and see what spaces are available in the buildings across our campuses.”

The email reassures students that the University will be creating “a range of new spaces across our campus to enable you to safely socialise with your friends and fellow students.”

The Kings shuttle bus has been cancelled due to government advice about travel. Alternatively, “the University will instead reinvest funds into new travel options.”

Harmon finished the email with: “We’ll continue to keep you updated on any plans that will affect you, as and when more information comes to light over the coming weeks.”

Additional information can be found by visiting student webpages

Related articles recommended by this writer

Edi Uni campus will be open in September, Vice-President confirms

Edinburgh tuition fees to remain the same despite decrease in face-to-face teaching

Students will be ‘strongly encouraged’ to wear masks at uni, says email from VP