We tried *almost* every pancake in Edinburgh, so you don’t have to

Pancakes and chill?

Pancake day, or Shrove Tuesday, is one of those occurrences that as a fresher you begin to realise people have VERY strong feelings about. In a sea of people each trying their hardest to flex their ‘cakes, brunches with flatmates and homemade pancakes are all the eye can see.

So we decided to see what all Edinburgh had to offer, comprising a list of the truly best tasting and most ‘Instagrammable’ pancakes in the city.

Loudons – Fountainbridge

Image may contain: Pottery, Pancake, Human, Person, Dish, Meal, Food, Bread

‘The Parents Paying Pancake’

Loudons represents the perfect place to take your parents, with garden centre vibes (in the best way), it is the ideal backdrop for lying to your folks that the reason you’re tired is from an all nighter in the library, not because of the eight vodka cranberries you had at the club last night.

Vibes – 6/10

Appearance – 8/10

Taste – 8/10

The City Cafe – Cowgate

Image may contain: Ice Cream, Sweets, Confectionery, Dish, Meal, Person, Human, Dessert, Cream, Creme, Food, Bread

‘The What It Says On The Tin Pancake’

Step into your dream, cheesy, American teen drama (*cough* Riverdale *cough*) in Edinburgh’s very own traditional late night diner just along from your Cowgate favourites such as Subway and Sneaky Pete’s. A blissful combination.

Truly the platonic ideal for a stack of pancakes, sometimes simple really is the best.

Vibes – 8/10

Appearance – 5/10

Taste – 7/10

Grams – Haymarket

Image may contain: Bread, Human, Person, Plant, Dish, Meal, Confectionery, Food, Sweets

‘The Aesthetic Pancake’

Grams is truly one of the best places Haymarket has to offer, give yourself and your Instagram feed a treat with some of the most aesthetic cakes on this list. Despite its intimate size, this shoebox cafe is not one to be underestimated, for great things await inside.

Vibes – 7/10

Appearance – 9/10

Taste – 6.5/10

Montpeliers – Bruntsfield

Image may contain: Dish, Person, Human, Meal, Pork, Food, Burger

‘The Picture Perfect Pancake’

Montpeliers is a Bruntsfield institution, with every square inch perfect for an Instagram backdrop both inside and out. Having mastered the combination of amazing looking AND tasting, these pancakes will be sure to make put anyone else’s pancake day pics to shame.

Vibes – 8/10

Appearance – 9/10

Taste – 10/10

The Treehouse Cafe – Bruntsfield

‘The Goliath Pancake’

When ordering these pancakes, you had better be HUNGRY, these giant cakes are absolute heaven, especially if you are a fan of syrup. Treehouse Cafe has by far the most peaceful vibe to it, a perfect place for pretending to study, when in reality you sit on the same page of a reading the entire time.

Vibes – 8/10

Appearance – 7/10

Taste – 8/10

The Ivy on the Square – St Andrew Square

Image may contain: Beer, Alcohol, Beverage, Drink, Sweets, Confectionery, Plant, Dish, Meal, Pancake, Food, Bread

‘The Puffer and Flares Pancake’

Get on your flares and puffer jacket and prepare to ascend to reality star status with these pancakes. That’s right if you want to fulfil your fantasies of ‘Made in Chelsea’ brunches, discussing the latest scandals from that week’s Jujus then get on down to the Ivy.

Most likely the pancake of choice for our Pollock brethren.

Vibes – 7/10

Appearance – 10/10

Taste – 9/10