Image may contain: Audience, Press Conference, Electrical Device, Microphone, Crowd, Human, Person, Overcoat, Clothing, Coat, Apparel, Suit, Accessories, Tie, Accessory

Edinburgh Uni to host Clinton Global Initiative University meeting in 2020

Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea will be attending

The University of Edinburgh has been chosen as the location for the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) meeting in 2020.

This is the first time in the event's history it will be held outside of the United States.

Former US President Bill Clinton launched the CGI U in 2007. It is a leadership programme for both undergraduates and postgraduates, currently forming a network of more than 13,000 students from over 1500 universities and 170 countries.

Principal and Vice Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh, Professor Peter Mathieson said: "We are delighted to host the CGI University’s first international meeting. We are looking forward to working closely with the student leaders and CGI who share our deep-seated commitment to making a difference.

"It will be a great opportunity for student delegates to connect with our world-leading experts and research, learn from one another, and begin to make their mark on the world."

From 17-19th April 2020, over 600 students from universities around the world will be attending a three-day event in effort to tackle major challenges facing today's world. Students will be hearing from politicians, world-leading experts and influential individuals who will discuss ways of addressing environmental, social and economic challenges faced by individuals globally.

The initiative has seen previous members take action on issues ranging from disaster response and recovery, to providing access to resources for migrants and refugees.

Clinton said: "For twelve years, students from across the world have been working to change their communities and change the world through CGI U.

"CGI U is a platform for these up-and-coming student leaders to connect with experts, explore funding and resources for their projects; and inspire their peers. We are thrilled to join with the University of Edinburgh next year as we host our first-ever international CGI U meeting."

100 students from Edinburgh will be taking part in April's meeting. Students who want to be a part the 12th annual CGI U must submit a detailed plan for their 'Commitment to Action' – a social impact project addressing a specific issue.

Have an idea you want heard or want a chance to meet Clinton? Find out more about applying here.