Image may contain: Speech, Audience, Display, Screen, Monitor, Electronics, Crowd, Person, Human

Edinburgh wins University Challenge for the first time ever

Raise your Tennent’s in the air

After an extremely tense final against St Edmund Hall, Oxford, the University of Edinburgh have won University Challenge for the first time ever.

The game was levelled throughout, and it all came down to the last few minutes to see who was going to nab the title. It ended with Edinburgh-born Robbie Campbell-Hewson nailing the final starter question, leading to a 15-point lead and Edi being crowned as the new champions.

The Edinburgh team had previously won against Durham, Cambridge, UCL and Bristol. The win puts Edinburgh as the first non-Oxbridge team to win in six years, and the first Scottish team to win in 36 years, since Dundee took the trophy in 1983.

Vice-chancellor Peter Mathieson told the Herald: "I would like to send my personal congratulations to the University of Edinburgh team for this fantastic achievement.

"The standards set in University Challenge are incredibly high. It's a huge tribute to the students involved to have beaten off very tough competition from some of the sharpest minds in UK universities and won the final.

"University Challenge is a real television institution and everyone associated with the university should be justifiably proud of what the team has achieved."

Huge congrats to the team of Matt Booth, Marco Malusà and Robbie Campbell Hewson, led by captain Max Fitz-James. Catch you in Teviot!