Donate and Date: Edinburgh students are holding a Valentine’s date auction in aid of Cardiac Risk in the Young

The fundraising efforts come after the passing of fellow student Ben Forsyth

| UPDATED Hide Images

Do you desire a date for Valentine's Day? Are you nearing the end of your degree, yet still haven't found the one? Or are you looking for a way to ask out your library crush?

A group of Edinburgh Geography students are organising Donate and Date, the biggest charity fundraiser of the year, in aid of Cardiac Risk in the Young. Efforts are being made to raise money for the charity after Ben Forsyth, fellow third year Edinburgh student, passed away from a heart condition last year.

Since its formation in 1995, Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) has been working to reduce the frequency of young sudden cardiac death (YSCD). The charity supports young people like Ben diagnosed with potentially life-threatening cardiac conditions, and offers bereavement support to families affected by YSCD. CRY also promotes and develops heart screening programmes and funds both medical research and specialist referral, screening and cardiac pathology services at leading UK hospitals.

10 quid goes to anyone who comes dressed as the CRY mascot

The fundraiser will take place on Thursday 7th February at the Counting House, and promises to be a romantic night to remember. The main action consists of a series of bids being placed by the audience on the lucky dating volunteers as they each take to the stage. To entice applicants further, the organisers are planning on awarding pairs vouchers for their special dates, which can range from an Edinburgh Gin Distillery tour to a free plate of the infamous Auld Hoose nachos.

Who could possibly host such an event? Ant and Dec? Phil Schofield and Holly Willoughby? Not quite – but Donate and Date is being hosted by none other than fourth year BNOCs Ellen Scott and Joe Markey. Truly a pair more iconic than the Big Cheese and club appearances from Love Island contestants.

Your hosts for the evening, Joe Markey and Ellen Scott

Your hosts, fresh off a summer internship with cupid, are delighted to be bringing their formidable matchmaking skills to Edinburgh in aid of a great cause. Plus, if you get outbid on your dream date, Joe and Ellen will be on hand with consolation hugs – at £1 a pop, with all proceeds going to CRY.

More details about the event can be found here, and tickets purchased here.