Opal is back just in time for freshers’ with a brand new name and aesthetic

Say hello to Eastside

Local students and those who were in Edinburgh this summer might have dropped their Buckfast in shock to find popular late-night hangout Opal replaced with a building site. Now, just in time for freshers' week, it's been reincarnated with a fresh new look – as lounge bar Eastside.

View this post on Instagram

Can you guess what it is yet? 😏🚧 #eastsideedinburgh #construction #refurb #openingsoon

A post shared by Eastside. (@eastside.edinburgh) on

In the past, Opal Lounge on George Street served as a bar and club, open 10pm until 3am every night of the week. Following the renovation, Eastside will mainly operate as a lounge bar open until midnight – on six days a week, that is.

Image may contain: Glass, Pub, Bar Counter

The renovation has been completed just in time for Freshers' Week

Much to the relief of the student population of the city, though, the much-loved club night JuJu will continue to take place every week on a Monday, open until 3am.

Smiling wide for Eastside

Like the venue, the student-run night JuJu has also had a shake-up – with the new addition of street food being served in the club from 2am onwards.

Eastside had its opening night on Thursday 6th September, but will re-open its dance floor on Monday 10th September for the JuJus Freshers' Launch Riot – complete with £1 shots, £5 street food, and banging sets from both guest and resident DJs.

University of Edinburgh

The Tab Edinburgh

last seen today at 06:26

Get breaking Edinburgh news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out who has made it into Clubbers of the Week, Teviot nachos news and all the goss from Pollock, straight to your DMs. 😘