Image may contain: Person, People, Human

A quick guide to the candidates running for Sports Union President to help you make your decision

Voting on MyEd closes at 12pm today

It's time to exercise your democratic right and elect your Sports Union President! To help you out, we've compiled a short overview of their main policies and plans for the future.

Paul Duffy

Paul has served as the Sports Union's Vice President Intramural for the last two years. His past experience also includes being Secretary and Captain of MathSoc Football, alongside playing Gaelic football. Paul was awarded the Neil Campbell Shield for his efforts to increase participation in sport following his role in establishing a women's 5-a-side football league and this year he was instrumental in vastly expanding the intramural programme with the introduction of a men's 5-a-side league.

Vote Paul for your Sports Union President

Hello, I'm Paul and I'm running to be the next president of our Sports Union. I want to continue to make a positive impact, and increase opportunities across all tiers of sport to benefit ALL students!Watch this video and find out why you should vote for me!Use this link to vote: https://www.eves.myed.ed.ac.uk/channel/index.cfm?fuseaction=vote&e=203 Voting is open until 12 noon on Thursday 29th March. Be sure to watch in HD.#Vote4Paul

Posted by Vote Paul Duffy for Sports Union President on Tuesday, March 27, 2018

In his election address, Paul stresses the importance of communication, opportunity and development. Some of his policies include introducing a 'Club of the Month' to allow for recognition, a clear code of conduct for addressing verbal, physical and sexual harassment, expanding sport to all campuses so as to not leave any student out, organising a Peffermill shuttle bus with EUSA and concentrating more on tackling mental health within sports clubs. Discussing why he wants to be President he says: "I absolutely love this Sports Union; through the opportunities that it has given me. I want to give back now, and ensure that all students have access to these great opportunities."

Philip (Pip) Tucknott

With a passion for archery, Pip's previous experience includes being President of the East of Scotland Archery Committee, a role for which he has since been re-elected. At uni he has held the position of Equipment Officer and SSS Liaison Officer for the Archery Club. His most recent appointment has been as a member of the Board of Scottish Archery.

Campaign Video

Voting is now live: https://www.eves.myed.ed.ac.uk/channel/index.cfm?fuseaction=vote&e=203Please take a watch and give a share, the end is worth sticking around for as well.

Posted by Pip For SU President 2018 on Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Highlights of his election address include a focus on improving the position of committee member and making sure that sports committee members receive the same recognition as class reps by getting their role put on their transcript. In addition, he aims for a more specific policy for addressing and dealing with sexual harassment which is handled through university grievance procedures.

A key policy of Pip's is that of improving the system of blues and colours awarded for sporting achievement. In his campaign video he states that "in order to make sure people know that they do exist we need to celebrate the people that have won them in the past". Speaking on why he wants to be your Sports Union President he says: "I just wanna make sure that sport can be enabling for everybody as it has been for me".

Voting is open until 12pm Thursday 29th March so don't miss out, you can vote here on MyEd.