Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Bus

Newington Kebab Shop named best in Scotland at British Kebab Awards

Head to Verdo for the drunk food of winners

A Newington Kebab Shop has been named as the best in Scotland at the British Kebab Awards, it has been revealed.

Finally weeding out the class from the time wasters, the British Kebab Awards have discovered the sixteen best stops out of 20,000 locals, vans and restaurants up and down the country, in regional categories and everything from 'best fine dining' to 'best kebab van'.

Lucky for Edinburgh Uni students – a huge proportion of which live in Newington – the winner of Best Kebab House in Scotland, Verdo Turkish BBQ, is on our very doorsteps. A mere five min walk from Pollock on the corner of Newington Road, this could be the newfound go-to for thousands of students.

Image may contain: Door, Trolley, Tram, Streetcar, Cable Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Bus

Introducing your new favourite comfort food

With the awards' founder Ibrahim Dogus claiming "the kebab is on the march to be Britain’s national dish", such titles are no trivial matter. And so, the judging took place, headed by Baroness Warsi (former Tory chairperson), Nadhim Zahawi (children and families minister), Jonathan Reynolds (shadow economic secretary), Amjad Bashir (member of European parliament) and Lucy Horobin (Heart Radio presenter).

It might have wooed the politicians and Londoners, but does Verdo shape up to the well honed kebab scoring system of a hungry, tipsy student?