I went to all six Wetherspoon’s in central Edinburgh to decide which one is best

How many glasses do I want for my pitcher? Just a straw, thanks

Wetherspoon's is not just a pub, it's a national institution that is key to life as a student. Edinburgh boasts a whopping six Wetherspoon's locations, so I took it upon myself to go to all six in one day to determine which one was best. Six Wetherspoon's in four hours- this is what happened:

The Foot of the Walk

Stop Number 1 on the Wetherspoon's crawl

Prior to this article, I had been aware of the Wetherspoon's at the bottom of Leith Walk, but had never been in because my halls were closer to The Playfair. From the outside it is not the most elaborate pub, especially when compared to some of the other places on my crawl, but I went in with an open mind.

Inside The Foot of the Walk, it is a typical Wetherspoon's pub. It's simple, with a tidy bar and ample room. It has a slightly older demographic, but going in just before lunchtime meant that most people were in for cooked breakfast, which I happily sampled alongside everyone else.

Wetherspoon's breakfast wrap at its best: £3.99 with a drink

Despite being futher away from uni and most student halls, The Foot of the Walk is by far the best value for money, with cocktail pitchers coming in at £5.99, a pint of Tennent's costing £2.65, and a large glass of Coldwater Creek costing only £3.80.

Overall, The Foot of the Walk is an undervalued pub, and I would encourage anyone who lives in Leith to give it a visit.

The Playfair

This is The Playfair, I swear

This is The Playfair, I swear

I had been to The Playfair before this pub crawl, so I knew exactly what to expect.

Being inside the OMNI Centre, it does not look like a typical Wetherspoon's, but it is immensely popular.

It was reasonably quiet around lunchtime, but there were still a few people milling about. However, taking a look at the menu was not an enjoyable experience after the amazing prices of The Foot of the Walk.

A cocktail pitcher will set you back £10.10 at The Playfair, which is almost double the price of the pitchers at The Foot of the Walk. A pint of Tennent's costs £3.85, and a large glass of Coldwater Creek is £4.25. The Playfair is not the most expensive Wetherspoon's, but it is a far cry from the bargains that can be found less than two miles down the road.

The Booking Office

Wetherspoon's at Waverley

Wetherspoon's at Waverley

Next stop on the pub crawl was The Booking Office on Waverley Bridge. This Wetherspoon's is always very busy, and this particular Saturday lunchtime was no exception.

The Booking Office is a very nice pub – it's clean and fairly modern. it's clear to see why it's a popular stop-off for many travellers.

What isn't enjoyable in this Wetherspoon's are the prices. The Booking Office is by far the most expensive Wetherspoon's in Edinburgh, which could partly be down to the fact that it is attached to Waverley train station, and its location in the centre of town.

A cocktail pitcher will set you back £11.10, a pint of Tennent's £4.15 and a large glass of Coldwater Creek is £4.85, but if you're just popping in for a cheeky pint before your train home, I would recommend The Booking Office to everyone.

The Standing Order

George Street's finest

George Street's finest

By the time we got to The Standing Order it was obscenely busy, with no tables left free and a busy bar. It is a grand pub, having been a bank in a past life.

The inside was fairly luxurious as Spoons go, and I would've enjoyed my surroundings more had it not been so busy.

Price wise, The Standing Order is less expensive than The Booking Office, but still didn't meet the cheap prices of The Foot of the Walk. A cocktail pitcher is £10.10, a pint of Tennent's is £3.85, and a large glass of Coldwater Creek will cost you £4.25, so all of the drinks are on par with The Playfair.

However, The Standing Order is a grander pub, and slightly more out the way on the middle of George Street.

The Alexander Graham Bell

The fifth stop on my epic Spoons crawl

The fifth stop on my epic Spoons crawl

The Alexander Graham Bell is the smallest of the Wetherspoon's in Edinburgh, and arguably the most quaint. It is not as modern as some of the other locations, but it is more intimate and would be more than suitable for a chat with friends or a first date.

Even at the tailend of lunchtime, this Wetherspoon's was still reasonably quiet, but by no means empty.

Located at the end of George Street, The Alexander Graham Bell is away from the hustle and bustle of the centre of town, but is also close to the restaurants and other bars of the West End and Lothian Road.

Like The Playfair and The Standind Order, a cocktail pitcher will cost you £10.10, a pint of Tennent's £3.85, and a large glass of Coldwater Creek £4.25. Still not a rival for The Foot of the Walk, but the atmosphere was definitely more intimate and possibly worth the little bit extra on the prices.

The Caley Picture House

Wetherspoon's of the Gods

Wetherspoon's of the Gods

I had heard many good things about The Caley Picture House, and I had high hopes for this Wetherspoon's. It's safe to say that I wasn't disappointed.

The Caley Picture House has almost a Great Gatsby feel to it with the vintage cinema still playing a role in the atmosphere and decoration. This pub is a mix of modern and classic chic styles, and appeals to everyone.

Located at the end of Lothian Road, it has a very central location, and is the closest Wetherspoon's for students living in the Marchmont and Tollcross areas.

The Caley Picture House is on par price wise with The Playfair, The Standing Order and The Alexander Graham Bell, but I would gladly pay more for the surroundings alone. Tennent's is £3.85 a pint, large glasses of Coldwater Creek are £4.25, and cocktail pitchers are £10.10.

Final Thoughts

Although The Caley Picture House is my own personal favourite, all of the Wetherspoon's in Edinburgh are great. The Foot of the Walk is by far the cheapest, but the distance puts many people off. However, £5.99 for a cocktail pitcher is a bargain. I'll just have a straw with my pitcher, thank you.