Police appealing for witnesses after spate of indecent incidents in New Town

Three incidents took place on Friday morning

Edinburgh police are appealing for witnesses following a spate of indecent incidents in New Town.

Three separate offences took place between 8:35am and 8:45am last Friday on North West Circus Place.

According to police, the first incident involved a 26-year-old woman walking to work, who was approached by a man who then touched her inappropriately.

A short time later a second woman, who was pushing a buggy, was approached by the man who proceeded to do the same thing.

Afterwards, the man was also seen approaching a man and woman nearby. He became engaged in a verbal altercation with them and made sexually explicit remarks.

The suspect is described as white, medium build, around 30-years-old, approximately 5ft 9ins talls. According to witnesses he was wearing a black jacket with a small white logo on the chest, dark jeans and white footwear. The man possibly also has a goatee beard.

Detective Inspector Jacqui Cotterell from the Edinburgh Public Protection Unit said: “While none of these women were physically injured, they were all left very upset by the suspect’s actions and we’re pursuing a number of lines of inquiry to trace this man.

“We believe the same individual may also have approached other women in the area and would urge anyone who wishes to report similar offences to contact police immediately.

“In addition, anyone who remembers seeing anything suspicious on North West Circus Place on Friday morning should also get in touch.”

If you have any information please contact 101 and quote incident numbers 780 and 840 of the 6th October. Alternatively, an anonymous report can be made through the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.