We rated supermarket houmous so you don’t have to

Which one reigns supreme?

Houmous is not just a dip, it is a daily commodity for so many people. Versatile and delicious, it can be used for more than just your cucumber and carrot sticks.

But which supermarket houmous is best? We tried houmous from six supermarkets to end the debate once and for all.

Asda

Asda houmous is light and fairly smooth, with noticeable undertones of garlic. The acidity of the added lemon is not overpowering to the tastebuds, and it has a creamy texture that is appealing to the palate.

You get 310g for £1.25, which is very good value for money, and the largest pot on offer from the six tried.

Overall rating: 9/10

Co-op

In comparison to Asda houmous, the houmous from the Co-op was thicker in texture and feels as if it would fill you up much quicker.

With a stronger flavour of sesame rather than garlic, this houmous is best treated as a dip for carrot sticks rather than for spreading on toast in the morning. £1.15 for 200g is reasonable value for money.

Overall rating: 7/10

Lidl

Lidl houmous is clearly runnier than the previous options. It has a coarser texture to it, with the chickpeas not having been blended as much.

This houmous had more of a neutral taste making this option more versatile than some of its competitors. 59p for 200g is arguably the best value for money out of all of the houmous offerings.

Overall rating: 7/10

M&S

A little bit of luxury. For those of us who like to splurge on the finer houmous dips on offer, M&S offer a nice alternative to the main supermarkets. This houmous is beautifully smooth, but can be considered an acquired taste as there is added extra virgin olive oil which gives the dip a distinctly olivey vibe.

This dip is also rich and so should be eaten in small doses. You get a whopping 300g for only £1.50, which is amazing value for money, especially from M&S.

Overall rating: 5/10 for those who are not keen on olives, 9/10 for those who love the olive flavour.

Sainsbury's

Sainsbury's houmous is much more acidic than the other offerings, which leaves a tangy aftertaste that is not necessarily enjoyable. Coarse in texture and salty in taste, this houmous is not as pleasing to the palate as the other offerings.

At £1.30 for 230g, Sainsbury's houmous is fairly good value for money, but still does not rival the value for money of Asda, M&S and Lidl.

Overall rating: 5/10

Tesco

Tesco humous is light, creamy and quite smooth in texture. It is fairly acidic, but the citrus tang is not overpowering. £1.20 for 200g, it is not necessarily the best value for money but you will often be able to find Tesco humous on offer for 2 for £2.

Overall rating: 8/10