A man was repeatedly stabbed just next to the Meadows on Thursday night

One man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder

A 41 year old man was brutally ambushed and attacked by three men with knives on Thursday 28th September at around 9.30pm while standing alone outside King's theatre in Tollcross.

The men reportedly followed their victim for a couple of streets until they finally ambushed him with knives on the corner of Tarvit street in what officials are treating as an attempted murder.

Police last night at the crime scene (Image: Twitter/alex_m_orr)

The victim was left with "a number of lacerations and puncture wounds to his body" and is currently being treated at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary although his condition is not believed to be life threatening.

Detective Sergeant Mark Lumsden from the Violence Reduction Unit said: "This has been a very violent assault, which left the victim with several painful injuries requiring medical attention."

The corner where the knifing took place (credit; Daily Record)

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We received a call at 9.54pm hours on Thursday September 28 to attend an incident on Home Street.

"We dispatched one ambulance to the scene. One male patient was taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.”

Police have since tracked down one of the culprits and this evening he was formally charged with attempted murder.

Any witnesses are being urged by police to come forward as soon as possible.