Edinburgh woman faces jail after Opal Lounge glass attack

The woman mistook the victim for someone else and smashed the glass on the wrong person

Ashley Katsande pleaded guilty last month to smashing a glass on the head of another club goer when she saw her boyfriend kissing another woman on a night out in Opal Lounge last September.

Twenty-three year old Katsande is now facing jail after Edinburgh Sheriff Court was informed it was her third conviction for assault.

The victim, Marta Bugalska, was left with a gash over her forehead and was treated at the scene by club staff before being taken to the Royal Infirmary for treatment. It was then realised that Bugalska was the wrong woman and had not been the one Katsande had seen with her boyfriend, and in a bid to apologise, had asked her friend to send Bugalska an apology on Facebook.

Paul Dunne, the defendant’s lawyer, has said his client did not know her boyfriend would be at the club. Katsande also apparently immediately realised her mistake and regretted the attack. Whether or not this will save her from jail will be considered next month at her sentencing.