Scottish Defence League announce Edinburgh demonstration

The march is set to take place on June 25th

The Scottish Defence League (SDL) have announced plans to hold an ‘anti-terrorism’ demonstration in response to the bombing of the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena earlier this week. The attack killed 22 people, and injured over sixty others.

The demonstration is set to take place on Sunday June 25th at 2pm, with members told to meet at the Market Street entrance of Edinburgh Waverley Station from 1.30pm.

In a statement on the SDL Facebook page, the organisation wrote: “It is now time for everyone to unite and make a stand against this evil, join us to show your outrage and demand the government and our police take tougher action to prevent these atrocities and do more to protect us and our children from future terror attacks.”

One Facebook user responded: “I’ll be there !! No surrender,” while another commented: “I will go, but I am in no mood for being heckled or patronised by any leftist dick.”

Another commented: “Should be a good few thousand people at this, especially children so Sdl should try restart itself in a more welcoming way.”

SDL protesters are often vastly outnumbered by police at their demonstrations. According to the SDL Facebook page: “The Scottish Defence League was set up to peacefully protest against the islamification of the UK, terrorists, paedophiles and the spread of sharia law.”

The anti-fascist group Unite Against Fascism has confirmed that it will stage a counter protest if the event goes ahead, stating on their Facebook page that the anti-terror demonstration is the “fascist SDL’s latest attempt to inflame Islamophobia after Manchester attack.”