Edinburgh’s business school ranks number one in the WORLD for its gender balance

41 per cent of its staff and half of its students are women

In the latest rankings compiled by the Financial Times, Edinburgh Business School comes first for gender balance with women making up 41 per cent of its staff and nearly half of its annual intake for MBAs, one of the world’s most prestigious business courses, being made up by women.

Edinburgh’s success is partly down to changes made by the department three years ago which included an effort to hire more female staff and the launch of a recruitment drive that tried to attract students from a range of backgrounds and experience.

The dean of the school, Wendy Loretto. Credit: Susie Lowe

Wendy Loretto, the dean of the school, told the Financial Times: “The problem was not finding suitable women but convincing them that they were good enough for a place.”

The Business School also plays a role in supporting gender equality amongst current students who want to go into business after they graduate. This year, they fully backed and helped fund the creation of Edinburgh University Women in Business Society.

Way to go Edinburgh Business School.