Just because I live in Chancellors it doesn’t mean I’m a prick

People seem more than happy to show their dislike for someone in Chancellors

All of us in Chancellors have been on the receiving end of a face, that when you’ve told this face that you live in Chancellors, scrunches up into a wrinkly ball to convey disgust, contempt and jealousy.

Motivating these faces mainly is the superior living conditions Chancillians enjoy and the weird reputation that exists that people in Chancellors are somehow worse than everyone because they think they are better than everyone else.

Looking around my room at things that people may hate me for, I struggle. The classic motivation for this scorn that we receive is the bathroom. Aside from being more hygienic, better groomed and smelling better, I can’t understand why having my own bathroom would make me a bad person.

The size of the room, the big bed and the colour scheme of red wall, green curtains and blue carpet are tasteful and plush but possessing all of this doesn’t allow you to judge me in the way that possessing a second-hand sex doll might.

And then there are those who just think that chancellors naturally attracts, by luck, the biggest wankers of the year. There is an inherent hypocrisy in judging a Chancillian when it was probably in your top two choices on your accommodation application anyway.

Because obviously the university can just tell that you’re a wanker. Some people seem to think that the university says, “he applied for Land Economy at Cambridge and did History of Art A-level – he’s perfect for Chancellor’s.” That’s obviously not how it works.

Then there is the anti-social label that Chancellors residents get associated with. Due to its size, Chancellors residents don’t spend their freshers week getting drunk with their entire house. But that doesn’t mean we are wankers. From three course suppers in our pantry to Turf Club on a Saturday afternoon, we know how to socialise – just like everybody else.

Alongside this there is the assumption that Chancillians are stuck-up and arrogant. This is again unfair. Although a sense of superiority is tempting when we arrive to our halls which look more like a hotel than the prison-like compounds further away, the sense of superiority has switched. People from other halls rejoice in their shared view of those in Chancellors as wankers they reclaim the superiority that justifies their contempt in the first place. A great vicious cycle of arrogance.

Come up to us and chat once in a while, pop by our rooms for a pre (as long as your shoes are off at the door) because after all students in Chancellors are just normal people. We have parents and siblings, show love and are loved, have a signet ring and maybe a title – just like everybody else!