What club night is your Edinburgh Uni halls?

Sorry Chancellor’s, but it’s true

The accommodation you end up staying in during your first year of uni definitely has a great influence on where you go on your nights out. At first you may try and fight it, as you want to see as many different places as you can before you settle on your favourite, but eventually you just keep quiet and learn to live with it.

You may go through great efforts to merge with other friends of yours who stay in different halls, but really this isn’t a very realistic concept when you try to work out all the logistics of it. Nobody wants to tell their fellow hall-mates that they’ll be going out with different people, let alone to a different club, it all gets very messy.

So, here’s a guide to all the different club and accommodation combos you’ll learn to live with when at Edinburgh, and good luck breaking out of these. If you do then you might be alone for the night whilst your mates are off having fun in their ‘go-to’ club that they go to every single week.

Chancellor’s Court – Creme Soda

Of course, residents of Chancellor’s Court find themselves at the heart of George Street on their nights out. They don’t care that it is a 40-minute walk from Pollock, because someone in the group will always be on hand to get that Uber booked to take them straight to the door. They love the leather upholstered seating, the sparklers in the bottles and all the tweed that is in sight when on a night out at Creme Soda.

Hold it by the stem mate

Holland House, Pollock – Cab Vol

Caps, puffer jackets, red stripes and bass. You may not have a pantry in Holland House, but that’s all the residents ever cook up anyway. They love the sweaty, intense and overall bassy vibe. The Cowgate is their home away from home, so if they are there then they are happy.

Robertson’s Close, Hive

If you live on Cowgate, then why would you bother leaving Cowgate to go on a night out? The reason that residents of Rabbies Close end up going to Hive, is the very reason that the saying “fuck it, let’s just go to Hive” is a thing. They are the curators of spontaneity in everything they do, be it what they wear, what they eat, what the listen to, and especially where they go out. They are not ones to judge Hive by its smell of vomit and worryingly sticky floor, they just go there, have a dance and get back to their flat and in bed in under five minutes.

Dabbies Close

Deaconess – Rascals, Bourbon

Everything about Deaconess is new, modern, and throughout the flats, they’re your standard modern students builds where from flat to flat, everything is the same and repetitive. The residents love that, and that is why they love the music at Rascals. They have pre drinks, attempt to start a game of ring of fire which rapidly falls flat on its face, then the photos are taken as you can’t go out to the club with a pre night out insta. Then the cab is booked, everybody bar one person says “I don’t have any cash” just as the cab arrives, leaving one poor soul paying the full fare, never getting paid back in the drinks that their mates say they will buy for them once inside. It is the same every single week and that is what they love. The night will either end in a pointless argument, a short-lived club romance, or a walk home with the annoyingly sober friend helping their mate stagger on home after the argument mentioned previously.

“I thought you were my boyfriend”

Kincaid’s, Bongo

Similar to Robertson’s Close, they go to wherever is close by in order to utilise the fact they live on one of the noiser nightlife strips Edinburgh has to offer. Put that alongside the fact that they thrive off seeming that little bit edgier than the next person, then Bongo is the perfect place for them. Cheap, diverse in the music range and its undoubted trendiness, there won’t be any complaints from the residents from the Kincaid’s residents if you want to go there on a night out.

Abbeyhill – Why Not

A Why Not Monday is routine for many Abbeyhill students. They have the timings for getting ready, pres and taxi bookings down to a tee and nothing stands in their way when it comes to them going to Why Not. They can’t get enough of the LED room, and the intensely packed main dance floor. Some (most) people would find it too much, but true Why-Notters, like a lot of he residents of Abbeyhill fit in almost as though it is second nature to them. If the doors are open, they will slap on their tight white skinny fit shirts, black skinny jeans and shiniest shoes, and they’ll be there.

Everyone, The Big Cheese

This may be the only place where we can find refuge and all join one another on a night out, because at The Big Cheese – anything goes. There is so much nostalgia in the room on these nights out, that nobody can stop to think about who listens to what music or who’s wearing what out to the club. Nobody cares, because the music is too milky and that is the sheer beauty of it.