The true cost of the Edinburgh ‘Sesh’

Student loans don’t last forever, the sesh however does. Thus we have a problem on our hands.

The ‘sesh.’

A simple and warm phrase coined by today’s youth culture that describes drinking yourselves to oblivion. The sesh comes in many forms and it can occur in many places. For some the sesh comes many times a week. Many of us willingly splash our student loans at an array of nightclubs each week, all in the name of the sesh.

Towards the end of last semester, it became very clear to me that our loans don’t, in fact, last forever – despite my previous convictions. The sesh, I’m afraid, has a cost. Vodka and Nightclubs could be over half of what you spend your money on at uni. So, I applied some maths to the sesh and the results were horrifying:

Sweaty in the sesh haven.

You draw out £20, let the sesh commence.

A bottle of your finest Glen’s vodka will cost you around £7.50, and of course, you need a mixer – any 2L bottle will do. £2. Pre drinks: £9.50. You drink.

The time comes for the sesh to really get turned up a notch. You leave for the club but you are impatient, you need the sesh to turn up quickly and so you get a cab. Everyone’s bundled into a cab and you fly to your destination. The taxi to George Street is £8.50 but the fare is split because everyone is involved in the sesh. The split comes to £1.70. You’ve now broken both 10-pound notes.

Within the club you may reap the benefits of student nights, £1 shots are nothing to you and you thrive off the last broken 10-pound note. £3 more spent. As the night draws to a close the sesh-goers stumble out onto the street and find themselves in another taxi. Only this time the group is depleted, the sesh has strained the group and the weakest few have already left. It’s £2.80. The sesh is over and you still have £3, this is something of a victory.

You and the sesh meet more than once a week, however.

You spent £17, if you were to do that night every week in semester one it would come to £238. Not so bad right? 

However, you and the sesh meet not once but often three nights a week, perhaps more. Three nights a week over semester one comes to £714. Four nights is £952. This is the core cost of the sesh, it is not the final figure by any means. Some may get a kebab once a week, food for after the sesh. £6.50. £1,043. Wow.

You get the picture, the sesh has a staggering cost. Imagine how much it costs over four years. You don’t need to spend this much but you do. The sesh must go on, it’s ingrained in your being.

Drowning in the sesh.