How to spend Valentine’s Day in Edinburgh – seriously

The things on this list will make even Saint Valentine redefine ‘love’

Valentine’s Day is looming and you may be struggling to think of some romantic things to do with your partner to make your day extra special, but lucky for you, when you live in a city like Edinburgh, the opportunities for romantic activities are endless.

Here are some that would be well worth trying to squeeze in to really show your partner how much they mean to you.

Arthur’s Seat

What better way to start your Valentine’s Day other than by catching the sunrise from the top of Arthur’s Seat? The sun rises at just after 8am so you won’t have to be up too early and whoever you take on this romantic hike will certainly feel like one lucky individual so why not give it a go and start the day off right.

credit Jessie Lang

Peter’s Yard

This bistro is centred on the edge of the gorgeous Quartermile accommodation and would be a perfect spot to grab a healthy and slightly more sophisticated brunch. You might tie this in with a walk around the meadows or just head on into Old Town to take in some culture and have a wander around in the heart of the city.

The Water of Leith

If you fancy taking yourselves a bit further out of the city, then why not have a walk along the Water of Leith? This could be the perfect opportunity to have a nice romantic walk not in the company of noisy city traffic and loads of other people. This might be a nice thing to do in the afternoon and is fantastic if you want to save some money for other things you have planned for the big day.

credit Beth Kay

Cramond Beach

Going to the beach in the middle February in Scotland may sound like a ridiculous idea, but the views and atmosphere that this place holds will fill your day with more romanticism than you could ever have hoped for. Better still, it is an easy bus ride away and accessible from the city centre so getting there is hassle free and gives you another lovely thing to do if you are on a tighter budget.

credit Ann Harrison Codlin

Maison de Moggy

This is the cutest cafe in Edinburgh. You and your love can kick back for an hour, drinking tea in the company of the milkiest cats in Edinburgh. This is the perfect spot for cat-lovers and for only £7 for the hour, it is all to convenient and allows you to rest up and recover from all the walks you may have already been on.

Be mine?

Edinburgh Gin Distillery

This is a great experience to get you and your love booked in on for the 14th February. There are a range of tours that you can go on, all varying in prices and all involving free gin and a look into how some of Edinburgh’s finest gin is manufactured and distilled. Don’t risk waiting to book though as the spaces can fill up and you don’t want to be disappointed.

credit Rosey Hampton

The Royal Botanic Garden

The Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh is second to none in its diversity of plants with herbarium itself containing in excess of 3 million preserved specimens all of which are avaliable to be explored by the public. This would be a worthwhile thing to do, making your Valentine’s Day walk more exotic and flamboyant than any other in Edinburgh.

credit Lorna Busfield-Welsh

The Jazz Bar

In the evening you might want to inject some classiness into your plans and head on down to the jazz bar for some extraordinary live music. Nothing quite says ‘I love you’ more than a sweet trumpet solo ringing through you and your partners ears. Let the music do the talking, baby.

Chaophraya

This very popular Thai restaurant in New Town has glass walls, allowing you to take in the gorgeous panoramic views of the Edinburgh sights. Whether you go here for lunch or dinner, the views on both occasions will be spectacular and memorable. Seeing the lights of Princes Street and the glowing Edinburgh castle in all its glory whilst devouring some spectacular food would be a fantastic end to your Valentine’s Day and be a lovely experience to share with your loved one.

credit Chaophraya Edinburgh