New ‘homeless village’ project to launch in Edinburgh

And the love of everyone’s life, Leo DiCaprio, is a fan

Edinburgh based Social Bite have announced that they will be creating a ‘village’ for homeless people in the city next year. The social enterprise, which was visited by supporter Leonardo DiCaprio last week (cue collective daydreaming), is committed to helping homeless people in Edinburgh get off the streets and turn their lives around.

(Picture: John Avery Tiny House Scotland)

Their goal with this new project is to provide safe and low-cost housing for up to 20 people in an attempt to end the “vicious cycle” of homelessness. The eco-friendly, transportable houses will be based initially in Granton, in the north of Edinburgh and will contain two bedrooms, a small kitchen, lounge and wood-fire.

The social enterprise is planning to begin construction of ten housing units in early 2017, and the first residents are expected to be able to move in by the summer. The residents will stay in the village for 12 months and will learn new skills to aid them in seeking employment.

The co-founder of the enterprise, Josh Littlejohn, said: “We hope to alter the course of some of Scotland’s most vulnerable people for the better – swapping a destiny of poverty and exclusion for one of compassionate support and inclusion.”

After a year in the village, the residents will move on to permanent accommodation and be offered employment with Social Bite and the enterprise’s partner companies. You can check out the awesome work the charity does at the Social Bite cafe in New Town, where a quarter of employees were once homeless.

And hey, you never know, you might just meet Leo while you’re there.