Edinburgh University comes SIXTH in the country

The rankings are based on global reputation

Edinburgh climbed 12 places to 24th in 2016 best university based on “World Reputation” – up from 36th in 2015. It also placed in the top 10% for every category it was ranked in.

In the The Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings 2016, released today, Edinburgh scored a massive 80.3 overall – with 89.8 in “International Outlook” and 96.3 in “Citations”. It is in the top 10% globally for all categories: teaching, international outlook, research and citations.

Edinburgh boasts 20 Nobel laureates with affiliations to the uni, including winners of Prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Peace, Literature and the Memorial Prize in Economic Science. Alumni include Charles Darwin, David Hume, Alexander Graham Bell and Sir Author Conan Doyle.

Good old Charlie D

The report states that Edinburgh uni: “receives over £200 million in research income. It spends over £26 million on prizes, scholarships, studentships and bursaries. At around £317 million, it has the third largest endowment of any UK university after Oxford and Cambridge”.

THE Editor, Phil Baty, said: “Reputation is the global currency of higher education. It may be subjective, it may not always be fair, but it matters deeply.”

The UK had 10 universities overall in the top 100, as Bristol and Durham slipped out this year. We came second only to the US.