Why EUSA needs its safe spaces policy

Don’t sign the petition

There’s been lots of criticism recently about the so-called feminist, identity politics, leftie, thought police student politics.

If you’d believe all the think pieces written about no platforming, then you’d think students lived in some Orwellian dystopia where people are shot before even one Conservative syllable left their mouth.

Safe space policies have prevented speakers such as Milo Yiannopoulos and Germaine Greer from speaking at universities due to their allegedly transphobic views. Mouth-breathing redditors have lambasted the decisions claiming that issues of “free speech” have been violated.

Safe spaces are brought in to promote the rights of minorities, whether female, LGBTQ, BME.

As a straight, white, cisgender male, I obviously have no experience of someone being radically opposed  to my rights.

But I can’t imagine it being very pleasant.

A recent petition is harassing EUSA to “bring back free speech” and that EUSA’s safe space policies are undermining the very fabric of higher education.

I am not a die-hard EUSA fan. I believe that people should be able to drink VKs how they want without intervention.

I’m also aware of the democratic system that is used to elect them.

Less than 4,000 people voted in the EUSA Presidential election last year, out of about 33,000 students.

If you are so opposed to the left-wing politics that is so fashionable in British universities, then I recommend you at least fucking vote.

Or maybe, if you’re feeling particularly daring, you could run for a position yourself.

You could then form a circle jerk with your libertarian pals and reduce EUSA involvement in student life until the Big Cheese is just a mature student dancing to music played through his phones with all the lights on, drinking a Red Stripe.

Do you really want to be on the same side as this guy?

It’s totally futile complaining about policies if you’re not going to get involved and change them

Also, have you noticed who opposes safe spaces?

Islamophobic atheist Richard Dawkins recently shared the EUSA petition.

Is that really the seal of approval you want? Sharing views with noted bellends?

Greer and Yiannopoulos were forbidden to speak due to their absolutely abhorrent views about trans people, which categorically make them wankers.

It also tends to be straight white males who are against these safe spaces.

Straight white males, who will never experience racism, sexism, or homophobia in their lives, want to deprive those who will of that feeling of safety.

The right to free speech means that the government can’t imprison you for your views and it is not a free pass to being a dick.

I think after years of bigotry towards women homosexuals, ethnic minorities, and trans people we could at least try and protect them from people being wankers.

It’s the least we could do.