Richard Dawkins backs Edinburgh free speech petition

Right now it has over 300 signatures

Controversial atheist Richard Dawkins has backed a fresher’s petition calling for EUSA to reinstate free speech.

Charlie Peters started the petition, which slates EUSA’s safe space and no-platforming policies and has already reached 330 signatures.

It lambasts EUSA for “shutting out the contributions of people with whom you do not agree and depriving the rest of us from hearing their views” and claims that Adam Smith would be “ashamed of the censorious” EUSA policies.

Richard Dawkins retweeted the petition in a show of approval after Peters brought it to his attention.

Journalist and free speech activist Brendan O’Neill also voiced his support for the petition.

He said:“An excellent petition to reinstate freedom of speech at the University of Edinburgh. Sign it, folks.”

The petition comes after universities across the UK have prevented appearances by speakers such as Germaine Greer and Milo Yiannopoulos because of a commitment to safe space policies.

Commenters on the petition have also shown their enthusiasm for Peters’ campaign.

One commenter said: “’Safe space’ for human rights? or for bigotry?”

Another argued: “If you need a safe space because you can’t cope with someone’s views, then leave university and go back to infant school.”