Team of the Week: Gymnastics

Taking on the world, one tumble at a time

Whether you’re tall or short, an expert gymnast or amateur monkey bar enthusiast, the Gymnastics club are ready to make an athlete of you.

With beginner, intermediate and advanced groups, the club puts an emphasis on its inclusive and supportive nature and welcomes all with an interest in the sport. They’re also all rather depressingly in shape- who wouldn’t be with four days of training and muscle conditioning a week?

‘Do a flip!’

As the only gymnastics club in Edinburgh, they take on gymnasts from all over the city, meaning that training sessions are always busy and the socials are always buzzing. In terms of socials, the club emphasise their rep as “the party club” by having two sponsors-  the reigning monarch of Thursday nights, Silk and Pilgrim bar. Essentially, nights out with the gymnasts are nights not to be missed.

fresherz

As with the majority of the sports teams at Edi, BUCS is a highlight of the club’s calendar with club Treasurer Louise hoping to do “better than last year”, and to up the number of competitive members. On a more local level, Louise is clear on the the club’s main priority- to get each individual member to the standard they want to be at. Freshers Nina and Lillie have found this aspect of the club’s coaching particularly useful. For Nina it’s the option to “work at different levels” which appeals and for Lillie the “encouraging” attitude of the coaches and club as a whole.

It seems safe to say that this year the only way is up for the gymnastics club.