The University held a vigil for Paris victims

Over 100 people came

Last night, Edinburgh uni held a candlelit vigil and memorial service for the victims of last week’s terrorist attacks in Paris.

Representatives from the University Chaplaincy, the French Consulate in Edinburgh and the Scottish Government, as well as many students, came to the University Library on the corner of George Square.

Around 100 people stood under the drizzling rain, united in commemoration of those who died.

A prayer was followed by a speech made by Professor Sir Timothy O’Shea, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh.

He said: “We are affected by the events as we are a deeply international community.”

He went on to talk about the other ways in which Edinburgh was affected by France, talking of the 500 alumni in France, 500 students from France and 100 students from Edinburgh studying in France right now.

A senior minister of the Scottish Government, whose appearance followed Professor O’Shea’s reminded that our condolences should also go to those who were wounded and killed on Thursday in Beirut attacks, to passengers and crew killed in the Russian airliner, as well as to those killed and injured in Ankara bombings in October.

They suggested that in facing those events, we should all, as a multinational student community, demonstrate solidarity and show strength to those who try to divide and wreak havoc: “and as you stand together, I want you to know, that  Scottish government and the people of Scotland stand with you.”

The last and the most memorable speech was made by the Honorary Muslim Chaplain, who started his speech with an Arabic greeting As-salamu alaykum (the peace be upon you).

He talked about the Islamic phrase Allahu Akbar and its genuine meaning, as well as saying that it is not Islam that teaches people violence, it is people’s violence that perverts the underlying concept of Islam. He finished by hoping that new stereotypes in our student community won’t be formed.