STEM up in arms after EUSA bans weapons companies from campus

They called the decision ‘ludicrous’

STEM students have blasted a recently passed a EUSA motion banning arms companies from careers fairs as “ludicrous”.

A survey of STEM students found 80% opposed to the motion, and 67% thought it would adversely affect their employment prospects.

In response, EUSA said: “The university has a crucial role in guiding students … and promoting the arms industry is contrary to this goal”.

Some from the College of Science & Engineering, which has over 8,000 students, are calling for the motion to be re-debated as only 27 STEM students from the survey had heard about it.

The motion was passed by 45 votes, 0.13% of the total number of students.

One STEM student said:”I resent how many of the people in EUSA think they are the moral arbiters of society.”

Hannah Roques, a student activist, brought the motion saying that allowing the companies to the fair gave them “moral legitimacy”.

Sam Henderson, Convener of the Physics School, opposed the motion saying it “threatens our livelihoods.”

Nevertheless, Roques was “really pleased that it passed”.

Many other engineering students were also deeply concerned about their future job prospects, and the lack of consultation on the motion.

Anonymous respondents to the survey voiced their concerns in the comments.

One said: “If you start barring military and defence companies then what will be the next industry – pharmaceuticals because of animal testing? We live in the real world where defence is very important, not fantasy land.”