We asked freshers what they’ve learnt so far this term

‘Bongos gets a bit shit after a while’

With exams looming and lectures nearly coming to end, the residents of Pollock divulged what life lessons they’ve taught themselves so far at university.

Cathal, 1st Year, Law

“Working out how to make friends has been interesting, it’s something I’ve not had to do for a long time. I’m already sick of the generic conversation starters, after a while I just couldn’t be bothered to tell people where I’m from or what course I study.”

Harry, 1st Year, Medicine

“I’ve learnt better to motivate myself independently to do anything. I’m terrible at managing my money, I spent £60 on shots on Halloween at Silk and I’m a bad drunk. So actually probably haven’t learnt an awful lot then.”

Katie, 1st Year, Chinese and Economics

“I like going out on socials and I think I’m much better behaved when I’m drunk compared to how I was like at home. I was definitely guilty of being a bit ‘too mouthy’ on nights out.”

Michele, 1st Year, Mathematical Physics

“I’ve been quite lazy so haven’t as much about uni life as I could have done. I didn’t know professors were so generous with their time, if I ever want to see one they always make time for me. I come from Italy and it’s definitely not the same there.”

Daniel, 1st Year, Business Management

“There’s so much more independence. I used to do everything at the last minute but now I can work whenever I want and no one is going to tell me to go to bed. So if I want to work at midnight, I can do that. I think I’m better at doing more work, but I do waste time as well.”

Celia, 1st Year, Politics and Spanish

“The music at Why Not is terrible. It’s getting a bit boring now probably because I’ve been pretty much every week.

Josh, 1st Year, French and Philosophy

“To be honest, I don’t really do much work. My logic course sucks, so I guess I’ve learnt that.

“I’m in self-catered and it’s not that bad as I thought it was going to be. Oh and Bongos gets a bit shit after a while.”

Ollie, 1st Year, Geography

“You can definitely get away with not doing the reading for tutorials, I’ve learnt that.

“Still can’t quite tell the difference between Scottish and American accent yet.”

Katya, 1st Year, Pyschology

“It was a bit of culture shock coming from Finland. I went to a small school and I’d been there since I was four, so the size of the place was quite hard to get my head round.

“People are way more friendly here compared to Finland. I meet new people every week which is really fun. I’m more open and confident, no longer scared of talking to people.”