We smashed some Jägers to prove we’re the maddest uni in Edinburgh

It was a pride thing

Every Wednesday for the next four weeks, the Peartree and Jägermeister have teamed up to host the Jager Regatta.

It a huge competition to find out which of Edinburgh’s four unis is the best at chugging the famous German liqueur. Each uni takes in in turn on consecutive Wednesdays and has four hours to neck as much of the ‘meister as possible

The event sounded promising before I even rounded the corner of Nicholson. The Jäger’s guest DJs were blasting dance beats that were definitely inappropriate for 4 pm on a Wednesday during freshers’ week, had this not been a Jäger drinking competition.

Although the rain moved a chunk of the crowd indoors, we remained committed to proving Edinburgh’s dominance.

As Scotland trounced Japan in World Cup rugby, Jäger’s DJ and MC drew people outside to the stage and drink tent through a combination of loud music and even louder heckling.

Once the game ended Jäger’s reps started to ramp up the event with free mixed drinks and shirts, but I decided that if Edinburgh was going to win, I had to approach it the old fashioned way.

Delicious?

With a bottle in one hand and a shot glass in the other I quickly added four points to Edinburgh’s score board, loosening me up to talk to the legion of Jäger promoters in orange and black.

Although a suspicious number of them were Napier students or grads (potential attempts at sabotage?), they were very happy to facilitate the Edinburgh lots’ generous portions. Each round of shots was accompanied by the distribution of prizes, one of which was tickets for an all expenses paid trip to Ibiza.

Sound

No word yet on how many shots our beloved uni was able to put down before the closing bell at 8 pm, but if recent uni rankings are anything to go by, I wouldn’t be too worried.

September 23rd was Edinburgh’s shot at eternal Jäger glory, but if you want to support one of our city’s other unis, you’ll find Napier at the Peartree on the 30th, Heriot Watt on October 7th, and Queen Margaret on the 14th.