Edinburgh undergrads develop biosensor to test drugs for impurities

Their discovery could reduce overdoses and diet-pill related deaths

An Edinburgh uni group have made a groundbreaking discovery which could allow you to test how pure your drugs are

The development could reduce diet-pill and drug overdoses and deaths.

The group of undergrads have developed a biosensor, based on a cheap, paper “litmus test” which can detect the levels of impurities found within possibly dangerous diet pills and illegal drugs.

Dominika Pelegrinova, the Promotions Manager for the Operation, says the team were inspired to help due to the high amount of drug abusers in Edinburgh.

She added: “It’s difficult to keep people from taking drugs, but we wanted to do something to make it safer for them.”

The newly developed sensors will detect the DNP chemical found within dieting pills, which is suspected of the death of 60 people worldwide, including Glyndwr University student Eloise Parry.

21-year-old Eloise died after taking eight DNP pills she had bought online.

The sensor will also detect PMA, a substance similar to MDMA, but much more lethal and more likely to cause an overdose in taken in large quantities.

Pelegrinova explains the sensor works by freeze drying enzymes onto litmus paper, and testing the colour reactions which occur.

She said: “We wanted it to be cheap and easy to make so it could be available to everyone.”

Carmen McShane, a manager at drugs rehabilitation charity Turning Point Scotland, welcomed the development.

Carmen said: “We are really interested to hear about this new project by Edinburgh University and look forward to taking part in the discussion on the issues around it.”