Seven seconds of stardom: The faces of Edinburgh Snapchat Live

‘I’d like to think it’s majority girls screenshotting me but realistically they’re slating my English accent’

As you all probably know, Snapchat Live Feed came to Edinburgh on Saturday and made quite a splash.

Here are some of the people daring enough to volunteer as tribute and represent the city to the rest of the bagpipe-less world.

Suraj, 18, Fresher International Business and Spanish

“A friend and I posted about six snaps throughout the day to the story, and I was devastated we weren’t on it, so this was my last-ditch attempt for seven seconds of stardom, and it worked.”

The hand seen by millions.

When asked his secret he said: “Well that would be telling.

“A magician does not reveal his tricks. But basically any factoid specific to Edinburgh gets on – they lap that stuff up.”

As a Tab writer, Suraj is used to having a little local fame. But being featured on the Live Feed and being listened to by millions of people left him speechless.

Damn

Reverend Doctor Stephen Holmes, 49, Associate Rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church

The Reverend was captured in a Snapchat abseiling down St. John’s Church like a boss.

When asked about it, he said: “Can we talk, before we start, about what Snapchat live feed is?”

Totes adorbs.

The Reverend said: ‘this was terrifying’

The Rev assured everyone: “I doesn’t do stupid things like that very often.”

The stunt was in aid of the church’s development fund for improving facilities, they’ve raised over £2 million of their £3.5 million goal.

Yay for accomplishments

The Reverend admits to not experiencing much fame outside of his unexpected Snapchat glory, aside from a couple books he’s written on church history.

Drew Kemp, 19, Fresher Theology

Drew was featured on Snapchat enjoying a hot dog in the rain at a barbecue put on by his RAs. The snap was tailored for the Live Feed, but Drew promised at his chat isn’t that poor.

Delish

About 1000 people have taken a screenshot of his snap.

Drew said: “I’d like to think it’s majority girls but realistically they are probably slating my English accent.”

Cassie Mitchell, 16, High School student

Cassie’s family’s pub got some free publicity when local regulars and Hearts fans were featured in the Snapchat Live Feed.

Rawr

Cassie plans on treating herself as much as possible while revelling in the fame of her new found stardom.

She also hopes plenty of people will stop by at the Athletic Arms, otherwise known as The Diggers, for a quality pint. It’s Dalry-way in case you didn’t know.

Michael, 20, 2nd year Medicine

Surprisingly not a Geography student, Michael opened the Live Feed from his rooftop pointing out the volcanoes which Edinburgh is built upon.

Michael’s snap caused quite a controversy on social media.

He said: “I had everyone contacting me, uni friends, school friends, people I haven’t seen in years.

“They were all nice messages that I received all thinking it was ‘classic me’.

“Then there was the YikYak and Twitter explosion, people I don’t even know telling me to kill myself and calling me a cunt.”

All because he didn’t know the difference between a dormant and an extinct volcano.

jeepers creepers

Michael’s taking the hate well though as he said: “I just thought it was a bit sad of them to take time out of their day to insult someone they don’t even know.”

To clarify, as well, Michael is not a yah. He is a Geordie.

Moving forward, Michael aims to publish a Geography textbook.

Maybe not, but at least he’s learnt the difference between dormant and extinct now.

Were you on the Edinburgh Snapchat Live story? Send us a message on our Facebook page.