Would you like to spend £100 to see corpses?

Because now you can

In a time of severe funding cuts, Edinburgh has started flogging £100 tickets to see pre-dissected body parts — workshops start next month with the upper limbs.

The one-day workshops will be the first of their kind since human body dissection was re-allowed after the Human Tissue Act was changed.

Neuroanatomy Prof Tom Gillingwater said: “It will let us get under the skin to the real flesh and bones of anatomy.”

Obviously not Prof Tom

Explaining the history of cutting up bodies in Edinburgh, Prof Tom said: “Dissection was done publicly. You could buy tickets.

“For some it was entertainment, but for others it was a way of feeding curiosity and finding out what was going on.

“People remember the sordid bit about Dr Knox and Burke and Hare, but a lot of the work that was done at that time was seminal for modern medicine.”

“We want people who have reason to learn more anatomy to do so legally, safely and with the right level of instruction, in an expert environment with access to actual human material.”

“People will be looking and handling arms. They won’t be expected to physically dissect.”

Before the Anatomy Act in 1832, medics did not have enough cadavers to study anatomy so Burke and Hare murdered tramps and drunks for profit.

They began their grizzly trade in 1827 when Hare sold the corpse of a lodger for £7 and 10 shillings.

This article originally said bodies would be dissected at the workshops – this has been amended.