I went back to Pollock Halls

This year’s freshers are so tame

After retiring my fresher status I was keen to return to the infamous hub of first year life to see if this year’s lot lived up to their rowdy rep.

And the results were astounding.

First things first, it was off to the JMCC for some well earned dins after a long day in the library.

Ah, it’s good to be back

After we successfully evaded the dining hall’s high tech security system, it was time to see what delights would be on offer inside.

Mary the bouncer

I swear it cannot be legal to call this food…

DISCLAIMER: it was Scottish night

Winner of the ‘most indie jacket’ competition

After successfully lining our stomachs (with god knows what) for a night of pantry parties we headed to the JMCC shop to pick up essentials for the night ahead…

No throat lozenges but lots of condoms. I’ll let that speak for itself…

Not much to see here, just the police casually breathalyzing students outside the dining hall.

SHOTS OF VODKA ALL ROUND

He was just making sure the vodka was safe to drink, obviously.

Right, time to invade pantries.

Maybe not this one though…

We wandered the corridors in search of a legendary “pantry party” but were met by the eerie silence of students studying.

Anyone home?

ANYONE??

Clearly things have changed since I was last here.

We chatted to some charming freshers while pretending to be smokers. Evidently, it was easier to break into the social scene this way.

Exhibit A: Pantry party

After outstaying our welcome we wandered the corridors of Chancellors Block A in the hope of scouting out some more action.

On a Monday night there would surely be a good pres somewhere, I mean, Why Not?

Alas no, for the closest we got to rowdiness was when we walked past a dark room filled with some freshah lads chanting, “YAH YAH YAH” to Black Skinhead by Kanye West.

We decided it was time to leave and head over to blocks B and C to see what they had to offer us.

Block B was dead.

So we moved to the smaller houses to try our luck there.

Grantanamo bay was TOO ‘high security’…

And after breaking into Baird we were disappointed to find out we had already missed the start of gamer’s night.

After downing an entire bottle of Caribbean Twist we headed to the house which I had been told was home to some of the best pres in Pollock.

YES EWING YOU WON

We found these guys…

The self-professed ‘VKing’ – ironically not the guy clutching the vodka bottle

And with that we downed the last of our Lambrini and soldiered on to the taxi rank to fight some freshers for the first cab to Why Not.

Just kidding.

It was back to my cosy Marchmont flat for a hot chocolate and early night. We’d already experienced TOO MUCH rowdiness for one night.

All in all an informative night.

Conclusion: Freshers, up your game. Pollock, up your security.

Some things never change