Law student finds tutor guilty of breaching university guidelines

Owned

| UPDATED feedback law old college

Edinburgh is infamous for its poor essay and examination feedback, as well as awful student satisfaction scores.

But one anonymous Edinburgh law student today took complaints one step further – legally analysing feedback given on a delict course.

Using as a source the University’s “Feedback Standards and Guiding Principles” document, the student points out that under the General principles, (b):

“The onus is on teachers to provide feedback which is prompt, informative and helpful, within the resources available to them, and advise students how they can put the feedback to good use.”

But the law student said: “The quality of the feedback was, on the whole, very disappointing.

“A worryingly large amount of it displayed a lack of understanding of the basic principles of The University of Edinburgh’s Feedback Standards and Guiding Principles

“I fail to see how the comments and tone within the Feedback are either informative or helpful, as opposed to offensive, disparaging and unnecessary”

“I find the comments highly inappropriate.”

He or she said that in the future: “Feedback should be prompt, informative and helpful in order to be acted upon by the students.”

Way to beat the law school at their own game.