The Tab’s Top Christmas Songs

There’s been some good ones, and some really bad ones. Here are the Tab’s top Christmas songs.

We have essays, exams and crappy weather to put up with but on the bright side, it’s officially December and we’ve seen our first snowfall (it might have only lasted minutes, but it was snow!) so the Tab have put together a Christmas playlist to satisfy all your festive needs. Get your Crimbo jumper on and have a listen.

15. The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole

Just the phrase “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire” has you thinking of cosy Christmas memories.

14. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

This is another popular one, the most well-known version being Frank Sinatra’s but here’s Christina Aguilera’a amazing cover.

13. White Christmas – Bing Crosby

I’m pretty sure we dream of a White Christmas every year. According to the Guinness Book of World Records this version is the best selling single of all time!

12. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – Mel and Kim

This just makes you want to dance! This version was released in 1987 to raise funds for Comic Relief but the original was sung by Brenda Lee in 1958.

11. Let it Snow!- Dean Martin

Technically this isn’t even a Christmas song but it’s all about snow so we think it counts. Although we’ve included a classic version, we won’t judge you if you opt for the Michael Buble version, it’s just too good.

10. Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard

A “glam rock” Santa, what more could you want? It never made it higher than number 4 in the charts and was beaten by Slade the year it was released. 1973 was a good year for Chrismas song lovers.

9. Merry Christmas Everbody – Slade

Does it not just bring back memories of Primary School Christmas parties? Made even better by the Top of The Pops video, this song is a Platinum seller! We know why, it’s great.

8. Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin’ Stevens

Nope, we’ve not gone mad, it’s not the same song as Number 9. We like this one just a bit more. The little girl in the video is flying to “Santaworld” apparently. This was due to come out in 1984 but was postponed a year so that it didn’t clash with Band Aid.

7.  Winter Winderland – Bing Crosby

According to Wikipedia, this has been recorded by over 150 artists. All we know for sure is that we love it.

6. It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

This was written way back in 1951 and although there’s some great oldie versions of this, we think Buble wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhH5jPq5mVQ

5. Jingle Bell Rock

We’re doing a dance to this song…

– “Jingle Bell Rock.”

You guys know that song?

Everybody in the English-speaking world knows that song.

Janice said it, it must be true. Everyone knows this one!

If you’d rather a more classical version, have a look here.

4. Last Christmas- Wham!

This was originally by the British pop group Wham! but has since been covered by everyone from Cascada to T-Swift.

3. Do They Know It’s Christmas – Band Aid

Geldoff’s song raised money for famine in Africa and after its overwhelming success he was urged into producing Live Aid. The original came out in 1984 and was the top selling single in the UK for over a decade.

2. All I Want For Christmas is You- Mariah Carey

This was a close contender for first place, in its hayday it made it to number 2 in the UK and it managed the same in our Christmas chart.

1. Fairytale of New York- The Pogues

It’s not just a classic, it’s incredible. The lyrics apparently follow a drunk in NewYork sleeping off a binge. It brings out the Christmas cheer in the most Bah-humbug of us.

And it wouldn’t be Christmas until we’d heard this: