The Super Rats have landed

‘Mutant Super Rats’ have invaded Edinburgh.

Edinburgh has been invaded by hordes of ‘mutant super rats’ which are becoming stronger than ever — after developing a taste for the poison which is supposed to kill them, experts warned yesterday.

Pest controllers said efforts by residents (namely students, we hate the damn things) to rid their homes of the vermin menace was only making the creatures more resistant to toxins.

Researchers have been studying the animals’ DNA and have found evidence that ‘super rats’ are growing in numbers. Great, X-Men style rats.

Nasty.

A team from Huddersfield University said the poison-resistant rodents were capable of consuming anticoagulant pellets “like feed”.

Now pest control firms have joined forces to warn people across Edinburgh to stop trying to solve rat problems themselves, as venom bought in shops is often useless.

Richard Moseley, of the British Pest Control Association (BPCA), said: “Normal rats are being killed off by poison, so these resistant species are taking their place – it’s only natural that their numbers are expanding.

“They eat poison like feed. You might as well be leaving out grain for them.

“Rats carry and spread diseases, so if their populations are left unchecked there can be a big public health risk. I would urge people worried about infestations to seek professional advice.”

Cute? Looks can be deceptive…

It is thought that tough financial times (and student loans spent on, uh, more important things) are prompting residents to avoid calling in the experts to deal with rat problems and instead are snapping up cheap poison from hardware stores.

Pest controllers said there was clear evidence that once tried-and-tested methods were these days proving ineffective. No cheese then?

Gavin Lindsay, owner of Anglo Scottish Pest Control, said: “We get a lot of calls from people who have tried to take the matter into their own hands, not realising that the main rat poisons on the market are having less and less effect.

“It may kill one or two rats, but the others will either be resistant to it or have learned to avoid it in the first place.”

Gavin, 50, from Morningside, added: “People who live in rural areas and on farms often have the most problems, but some areas of the New Town which don’t have proper wheelie bins also get a lot of rats.”

Oh dear, Marchmont may finally have the upper hand then.

A lovely New Town sewer, home to the Super Rats.

The city council offers its own pest control service, and insisted the rat population was under control.

Environment convener Councillor Lesley Hinds said: “It’s no surprise that pest control companies have claimed again that they’re seeing an increase in demand for business, but we can reassure people that the vermin population is largely stable and under control.

“Our figures show a year-on-year decline in the number of calls from the public regarding rats. Last year’s figures had fallen by over a third compared to 2010.”

Well that sounds alright for now. But be warned, the Super Rats are out there somewhere waiting to strike….