The Tab’s Guide to Christmas Markets

The Tab’s guide to buying Christmas prezzies. At markets…So retro!

As everybody knows the Christmas season is now upon us, and although we look upon this time of year with warmth and happiness it can also be a time of dread. Why, you ask? Shopping for Christmas presents can be quite the challenge: you wouldn’t want to get your brother the same gift as last year, or your mum something she’ll stick in a drawer and never look at again, right?

Well we have the solution for this yearly dilemma. Presenting The Tab’s guide to Edinburgh’s Markets for the most unique and heartfelt gifts, making you the favourite in the family.

Castle Terrace Farmers’ Market

Saturdays, 9am- 2pm

Wonder if the Queen ever pops down for a wee browse?

This is the market to go to just before you drive, bus, or train home this winter. Why? Because you’ll want the fresh produce to stay fresh when you hand it over to grandma for the first family dinner. Oh and granddad will love the specialty liqueurs and organic beers – they’ll have to give you an extra Christmas present.

Grassmarket Market

Saturdays, 10am- 5pm

Unique handcrafted goods are aplenty at this central market, you’re sure to find something special for that special someone.  From artisanal teas and macaroons to gourmet dog treats you’ll find something to make everyone back home happy.

Continental International Market

Weekends

A must for making your younger siblings your minions. Mwah, ha, ha…

If you’re looking for unique knitted caps, Native American artefacts or confectionary from around the world for your sugar-addicted younger brother, then this is the market for you. Located in the heart of New Town on Castle Street, you’ll know when it’s there by the smell of German Bratwurst, and the signs held by grown men in dinosaur costumes.

Stockbridge Market

Sundays, 10am-5pm

This market is located in the small park on the corner of Saunders Street and Kerr Street. Grab a glass of mulled wine and enjoy shopping amongst homemade jams, oils, soaps, jewellery, handmade cards and more. Bonus – lots of fresh food stalls to keep you motivated in your quest for the perfect gift.