Law Students “black up” for Beerienteering race

As the law students of Edinburgh awake with hangovers and hazy memories of last night, an internet storm is brewing.

• Law society social turns sour when team turn up in face paint as “Somali Pirates”
  • Society are “upset” and “mortified” at the costumes. 
  • Veg Soc, who took the photos, called it “Black and Ethnic Minority oppression”

Last night was the Law Society’s annual beerienteering race. Teams sign up to race around Edinburgh’s pubs, drinking at each one, with the hopes of winning a queue jump for the Law Ball queue. It brings out some of the most competitive players and always promises a fun night. This year’s theme was “All around the world” and saw teams dressed up as Frenchmen, boys in Hula Skirts and Mexicans in sombreros.

However, one team chose to “black up” as Somalian Pirates and as the pictures spread across the internet, their effort isn’t being appreciated and the accusation of racism is flying everywhere. A picture of them was snapped in The Three Sisters by members of the Veg Soc and Amnesty Soc who called them out on their costume.

The Somalian team were stopped in Hive for a photo

They have told the Tab, “This is an image of Black and Ethnic Minority oppression becoming manifested in students “costumes”. Racism should be opposed on every level and Edinburgh University and we a a student body should do all within our power to make sure these attitudes are called out”.

After taking the photo they followed the team to Hive where they questioned the bouncers about their decision to let the team in. The doorstaff replied that those who were offended can “head somewhere else”.

Fourth year team, “whatusain?” managed to complete their night representing Jamaica without including Blackface and the winning team showcased Vietnam in football shorts and t-shirts so did the Somalian team take it too far?

Edinburgh University Law Society is an independent society, not affiliated with EUSA. The Society President told the Tab, “this is obviously something that the Society is categorically opposed to and we’re upset and mortified at the costumes and extremely sorry for causing upset to people”. A statement will be released by the Society shortly.

People have called for EUSA to step in after pictures were taken of the team last night and it looks to be the next big controversy. This comes on the back of criticisms over insensitive Halloween costumes of the past few weeks.

UPDATE: Keir Gilius, President of the Law Society, issued this statement on the Law Soc Facebook page:

“The following is a statement made on behalf of the committee of the Edinburgh University Law Society in light of issues raised by last night’s Beerienteering event.

The fancy dress theme was “All Around the World”. As a society, we try to arrange our events with innovative and interesting themes leaving scope for attendees to use their imaginations. In no way was this theme intended to incite racism or cultural appropriation, and as a society, we are vehemently opposed to discrimination of any form. 

On behalf of the members of our society, we apologise unreservedly for any upset caused. In response to some of the costumes designed, in the future we will strive to ensure that any fancy dress events will actively discourage the use of any costumes that could be perceived as being offensive; if so, the wearers may be denied participation in said event. As a society, we respect our members’ right to freedom of expression; however, cultural insensitivity is intolerable and this is something that we are completely opposed to.

In light of the ongoing and comprehensive commentary on our Facebook page, I would not propose to discuss any further details.”