EUSA Sabbs “Gagged” From Protecting Students

Edinburgh’s sabbatical team legally ‘gagged’ from saying anything negative about the Uni.

It has been revealed that the sabbatical team at EUSA have to sign a “gag clause” which stops them from protecting the welfare of students.

In order to be offered a grant to run EUSA, the Sabbs have to sign a document stating that they’ll give 2 days notice to the University before they say anything negative about the way it runs.

This information was first leaked by Uni trustee Hona Luisa Cohen Fuentes, who was recently ejected from working peacefully in the Old College during a visit from Princess Anne.

The original leak of the gag clause, made by an unsupported student.

The Tab obtained the original grant letter from EUSA, within the conditions it states:

“…documents intended for publication that – were they to be appraised by an independent ordinary member of the public – may be considered detrimental to the interests of the student body or the University community, should be provided to the University secretary at least 2 days prior to submission for publication.”

Our student reps… that can’t defend their own students.

Hugh Murdoch, President of EUSA, told the Tab:

“It is obviously far from ideal that this block grant condition was included at short notice. The block grant condition doesn’t remove our right to challenge the University and we continue to hold them to account both publically and behind the scenes. This critical working relationship we’ve developed over recent months creates a powerful case to remove the condition for next year’s grant and we’ll be forcefully negotiating for that.”

UPDATE:

Cohen Fuentes, the student in question, has asked The Tab to issue this statement:

“It’s not the only reason for the sabb’s silence in my case, but the gagging clause undermines EUSA’s very reason for existing. I found out about it through the trustee board, and the student body has a right to know. This stops EUSA from being able to use pretty standard campaigning tactics, without which, they are of little help to students. Our student’s union should be autonomous. It is outrageous that the university pressured the sabbs into signing such a clause, and it is equally ridiculous that they agreed to it.”