Student Savers Sink Supermarket Site

Asda was yesterday forced to close its website after a money-saving glitch was exploited by thrifty students

Yesterday, Christmas came early for students across the country. Actually, it’s probably unfair to say students, as many non-students probably got involved too.

A Facebook page called ‘10 ways to have more money as a student, without working’ posted a link that would make the days of, according to the comments on their post, over a thousand people across the country. Judging from the site’s name, it would be safe to say that a high percentage of these will be students.

What happened, was that the page broadcast a site-offer or glitch, that would cost Asda thousands. In their post, they highlighted a £50 off any online grocery shop which, yes, includes alcohol.

Since the post went viral among the student population, of which I know at least 16 people who got involved (and looking at social media sites many more did), the Asda online shop has been taken down to prevent more students, and other money-savers, from taking advantage of the mistake and having their pants down.

Asda shut down their site.

Some students opted to buy fancy food they otherwise might not have bought, but the majority of those involved, who I could speak to, chose to top up their alcohol cabinet. Some went for quantity and others for quality. Two bottles of vodka and a bottle of gin for £4.50, the delivery cost, seems reasonable to us.

Other students filled their basket with Blue WKD’s and one spent the entire £50 on meat, he’s bulking.

Most students opted for alcohol.

The Facebook page later posted that the offer had finished, but in order to silence those who thought it was too good to be true, uploaded proof that it was legitimate, with photos of successful orders.

Most are still fairly unsure that the order will be honoured by Asda, which tweeters speculate might cost Asda between £125,000 and £1,000,000. Clearly someone’s got it wrong.

Will Asda deliver?

Please Asda, honour the deal.