Bobby gets a nose job

The capital’s most loyal dog gets some cosmetic treatment.

Yesterday, Edinburgh’s favourite wee dog underwent some work to have his nose repainted.

There is a tradition among visitors that the statue brings good luck to those who rub his nose but the popularity of the dog has led to the colour being rubbed away and a shiny bronze nose being left.

Bobby getting a touch up.

The story of Greyfriar’s Bobby is well-known within the capital; the Skye Terrier was the loyal companion of John Grey, a night watchman for the local police. When John Grey died he was buried in Greyfriar’s Kirkyard at the top of Candlemaker Row and the dedicated dog visited the grave every day for 14 years. When he died, Bobby was buried just inside the kirkyard too.

This traditional view made itself into a novel and later a movie but the accuracy of it has often been challenged, despite this it remains a popular tourist spot and one of the capital’s most visited statues.

The concern for Bobby’s nose was first brought to light in a Facebook Group called, “Stop People Rubbing Greyfriars Bobby’s Nose. It is not a Tradition” which has over 650 likes. The group discussed various methods such as asking local tour guides to stop encouraging the tradition.

Back to black…or not.

Unfortunately, however, the work of yesterday doesn’t seem to have lasted, a trip past the statue today uncovered that his nose is as shiny as ever.