Edinburgh Student’s Dad Stuck in Dubai

Edinburgh Student’s father stranded in Dubai.

The father of an Edinburgh student has been stuck in Dubai for seven months following the death of his wife shortly after their honeymoon.

Former 19-time superbike winner Sean Emmett has been unable to return back to the UK as the UAE had his passport confiscated shortly after his wife’s death in February.

His wife fell from the window of the Jumeirah Creekside Hotel which they stopped at on their 48-jour stopover following their South African honeymoon.

Mr Emmett was arrested by the Dubai police when he went to complete paperwork related to the death and it is at this time his passport was seized and hit with a 2,000 dirham fine (£350).

Although the death was officially recorded as suicide, Mr Emmett has since been unable to retrieve his passport as authorities claim to still be ‘continuing [the] investigation’.

The Foreign Office have been unable to intervene in the detainment due to the UAE’s legal system and it’s ongoing processes.

An online petition has been set up in order to speed up the return of Mr Emmett to the UK as quickly as possible and has so far gathered more than 8,100 signatures.

The student has said: “I can’t help but urge every student reading this to sign the petition. Every signature counts and goes towards the subject being brought up by David Cameron in Parliament. Please sign it so my Dad can finally come home”.

You can sign the petition here.