It’s a song

Bobby Scanlon’s view on the ‘Blurred Lines’ ban.

EUSA have banned a song. It’s that simple.

In a bold move to support their ‘End Rape Culture and Lad Banter on Campus’ campaign, EUSA have banned the playing of Robin Thicke’s catchy and anti-feminist number one ‘Blurred Lines’ in any of their venues. Why? Why does anyone give a shit about this song? Does anyone?

They aren’t too bothered.

I wonder how many people in Teviot on Sunday immediately walked out when the song came through their headphones. Mind you, they probably didn’t have chance as the song was quickly faded out by the DJ following instruction.

The song lasts four minutes and twenty three seconds. Four minutes and twenty three seconds. Who even notices when it’s on or off? How a song has caused so much uproar and debate is beyond me. I can’t believe anyone is boring enough to care.

EUSA didn’t seem to mind the scantily clad Vengaboys.

What I find even harder to understand, is that although this song is so shockingly anti-feminist and women all over the word are at it’s suffering, is how it has gone platinum in over ten countries. If it’s so disgusting, shocking and unacceptable, why have women all over the world paid the 99p iTunes fee to download it? Oh yeah, it’s because it’s not disgusting, shocking, or unacceptable, it’s a song. It’s some music and lyrics.

EUSA have jumped on the bandwagon created by approximately ten people from all over the world, and in doing so, have achieved absolutely nothing. It’s a fucking song. Get over it.