Edinburgh Climbs the League Tables

The University of Edinburgh has been ranked amongst the top 20 universities in the world.

The University of Edinburgh is now the 17th best university in the world. In the QS World University Rankings, Edinburgh edged into the top 20 by rising from last year’s 21st place.

Gotta love McEwan Hall.

One of only six UK universities in the top 20, Edinburgh is ranked as the fifth best in Britain and the best in Scotland. Ranked equally with the University of Toronto, Edinburgh beat out King’s College London, which was also promoted to the top 20 this year (they are now joint 19th). No surprise that both Oxbridge institutions made the top 10. Cambridge beat Oxford though, taking third place. They’ll be paying for that at the next boat race….

Edinburgh received an overall ‘score’ of 91.3 (out of 100). ‘Academic Reputation’ and ‘Employer Reputation’ got scores of 99.7 and 98.3 respectively. By subject areas, Edinburgh’s Arts and Humanities Faculties came 13th worldwide.

Standard.

QS has put Edinburgh in the top 20 before (ranked 20th in 2011 and 2009), but 17th is the best position so far.

Although Edinburgh will probably never make it into first and second place, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University beating us there, it’s nice to see that our wee Scottish university has been recognised for what it’s worth. In spite of our kilt-wearing, haggis-eating traditions.