Tributes paid to Professor trampled to death

Edinburgh University professor Michael Porter was killed by a stampede of cows while out walking his dogs.

Students and staff have paid tribute to a legendary Edinburgh lecturer who was trampled to death by cows.

Prof Michael Porter, a recently retired senior lecturer who taught medics, was crushed by the herd as he crossed a  field in Wiltshire.

Former colleague Prof David Weller, head of the general practice department of the University said: “Those of us who worked with Mike are devastated to hear of his tragic and untimely death.

Popular..Prof Michael Porter

“In a career spanning more than four decades, Mike taught Edinburgh medical students important principles of care and compassion, encouraging them to see their patients in the context of their family and society.

“He also conducted research in many aspects of general practice, including stress amongst GPs. He was a wonderful colleague and was devoted to his family.”

Students spoke of Prof Porter’s warm and engaging approach. One third year medic told The Tab: “He retired over a year ago but he was so sweet and helpful, and was so passionate about his teaching! He was always so smiley.”

The professor was crossing a field in Turleigh, Wiltshire with his two dogs, brother and his brother’s wife when the stampede happened. He suffered severe chest injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Prof. Porter’s brother, John, was left with serious injuries and was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital.