Top 5 Marchmont Digs

Bex Pearson explores one of Edinburgh’s favourite student areas

Proximity to uni, a ten-minute walk to Potterrow, a delicatessen that plays opera music, and an endearing mouse infestation. But what you DON’T know….

1. The Argyle Bar

Recently renovated, this pub boasts two floors of comfy seats, homemade food, and – with a Snapfax – great deals on drinks (£2.50 pints and £12 bottles of wine). Most importantly however, is their tip-top range of board games for your perusal. For third and fourth years who can no longer devote much time to WhyNot, here is your mature Friday night option: fine wine and a game of Cluedo. Nothing short of a delight.

Pass the wine…

2. Warrender Gym and Swim Centre

Dating back to 1886, this fitness complex has a 25m pool, sauna, and gym. The pool lies under an enormous glass roof and unlike St Leonards, it is rarely busy (apart from a few old dears in the slow lane). If you take a plunge in these waters, you will have done so alongside Olympic gold medallist David Wilkie and World Champion Keri-Anne-Payne – both members of the centre’s ‘Warrender Baths Club’, the oldest, most famous, and most successful swimming club in Scotland.

edinburghleisure.co.uk

3. Doodles

What better way to eradicate the essay blues than painting pottery? Teapots, photo frames, egg holders – you name it, they have it. They let you bring along wine and nibbles, so it’s a great weekend activity and a really unique place for birthday parties.

4. McGregor’s Hairdressing

Although more towards Bruntsfield, this place is worth the trip. Beautifully decorated, friendly staff, and a glass of champagne on arrival, McGregor’s is a hidden gem. Beauty treatments are often really expensive in Edinburgh, but here you can find a full Shellac manicure for £19, back massages for £28, and waxing for as little as £12.

Student Life.

5. The Meadows

With many flats overlooking lines of blossom trees and acres of green, here I think Marchmont comes up trumps. We all know the joy of that singular week in May when Edinburgh reaches a double-figure temperature and everyone flocks to the Meadows with their disposable BBQs, rugby balls, and Tesco Value sausages: imagine having that on your doorstep. The Pavilion Café has been newly renovated, so £2.50 bacon rolls and £1 coffees are available all year round. To top it all off, there’s a park at each end – you’re never too old for swings!

Glorious