Upcoming Events: Young for Young

Still hanging around the ‘burgh this week? Or maybe you’ve scarpered down to London Town? Either way, you could help a team of Edinburgh students raise some money for […]

Still hanging around the ‘burgh this week? Or maybe you’ve scarpered down to London Town? Either way, you could help a team of Edinburgh students raise some money for a good cause, and have a great evening to boot.

Earlier this year five Edinburgh students, spanning all year groups and studying a range of degrees including economics, law, politics and philosophy, decided to compete in an entrepreneurial challenge along with teams from 21 other universities from all over the UK. The aim of this challenge? To raise awareness and money for The Prince’s Trust, a charity whose work is focused specifically on young people, in just 24 hours.

The Prince’s Trust is a charity founded by the Prince of Wales in 1976, devoted to helping disadvantaged young people develop the skills and confidence they need to succeed in working life. They work with young people between 13 and 30 who may have found school particularly tough, been in care, or have been in trouble with the law, and run schemes ranging from specific training programmes and short courses, to financial grants and mentoring support.

the Young for Young team

The group from Edinburgh have called their team ‘Young for Young’, whose aim is to ‘showcase the potential of our generation’. Their fundraising plan is to hold two events this Sunday, the 21st of April, one in Edinburgh and one in London, both of which will feature, in two different ways, the brightest and best of the cities’ creative youth.

In Edinburgh, Young for Young will host an ‘Evening of the Arts’ in Pleasance’s Cabaret Bar, at 6:30 pm. Take a break from revision and come and enjoy performances from a variety of Edinburgh’s finest young musicians, dancers and artists, ranging from singer-songwriters and EUMS chamber groups to traditional dancing from the South Asian Students Society. Tickets, priced at £10 with all proceeds going to the Prince’s trust, can be bought on the door at Pleasance, or you can book online here: http://yyeveningofarts.eventbrite.co.uk/

a painting by Charlie Chrobnik, whose work will be on sale at the auction

Also on Sunday, the hordes of Londoners amongst you should head down to The Atrium at 250 Bishopgate at 2pm for a charity art auction featuring artwork donated by Edinburgh students and other young artists. With works starting at £10, there is something for everyone, and entry to the event is free. In order to secure your place, however, sign up ASAP here: http://yyartauction.eventbrite.co.uk/

Also, get down there early for FREE WINE! (Thought that might tempt you).

Speaking on behalf of Young for Young, Elliot Bourge told The Tab: ‘We believe that The Prince’s Trust is a fantastic charity helping to change the lives of young people, and we would like to get as many people behind the cause as possible.’

Also, both of these events have a dual purpose: in showcasing the creative work of our generation Young for Young are raising money for a great cause, but are also supporting young artists and our university’s societies. So what are you waiting for? Sign up for whichever event you’re currently closer to. They’re cleverly positioned so that you really can’t be more than a few hours away from one or t’other.