The Rape Bake Sale

Fighting against the funding crisis for a sexual violence support centre.

You will have all seen the chalk signs around campus last Friday leading you to a ‘Hot Waffles for Rape’ outside the library. Even though in reality, we all probably questioned how OK we were with being so enticed to a ‘Rape Bake Sale,’ these feelings quickly left when we all saw the hot sugary waffles, and fully understood their cause.

Waffles for Rape?

‘Save EWRASAC’ (Edinburgh Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre) were selling waffles to raise money, support and awareness – in May 2013, the EWRASAC are facing a 50% lottery funding cut, due to time-limited funds. The centre has so far been unsuccessful in finding alternate funding. And the demand for service is increasing.

The EWRASAC offers free and confidential practical and emotional support to women, aged 12 and over, who have experienced sexual violence. This includes sexual assault, rape and childhood abuse. Above all, it is a safe haven for the most vulnerable.

The cheery charity workers selling outside the Library.

The centre offers email support, group support, crisis helpline and more, for free. For women and students who cannot afford to pay for counseling, their complimentary services are vital. ‘Save EWRASAC’ raised £260 selling waffles, and are organising future events to help fundraise, with an aim to not only raise money, but also to raise awareness about the centre’s funding situation. The EWRASAC say they are “very grateful for their support and their help to raise awareness of our current funding crisis”.

Just £87.27 provides a service to each survivor of rape or sexual abuse, and last year the centre delivered 2334 face-to-face support sessions, and 1432.5 hours of helpline support.

Great food for a great cause.

Now, £87.27 worth of waffles is a lot to ask with summer around the corner, but let’s face it, our waistlines will never be as important as supporting those who most need it. For more information visit

www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Ewrasac/504730402916567?fref=ts www.ewrasac.org.uk
http://saveewrasac.wordpress.com

Future Events: 4th April poetry night, Forest Café: 10th April film night, The Banshee Labyrinth.