Flyer in the Ointment!

Hanna Smit looks into the vast amount of advertisements that students are bombarded with every day.

club elections flyering flyers nights out potterrow Teviot

Edinburgh students are subjected daily to an obscene amount of advertising – in Pollock, Teviot, Potterow, lectures and even in the CSE. These take the form of posters, flyers, videos, music – no media is safe. But what’s the point of all these ads for club nights, elections, and restaurants?

Aren’t the neon yellow dressed and creepily masked representatives of Hector’s House memorable enough? Do we need all this paper? Surely, having V for Vendetta reminders thrust through the minds of passersby in Bristo Square is enough incentive to make it out on a Tuesday night, right?

Hector’s House

Recently, this propaganda has increased due to the student elections. I wonder if anyone honestly bothered to read them. We could have saved the rainforest by now if we didn’t have all this paper floating around!

A quick Google search shows the mad flyering of late

You can even tell what day it is just by the flyers going round: three flyers to ‘Moonshine’ on Mondays, two for ‘Hector’s house’ on Tuesdays and five for ‘Silk’ on Thursdays make up just a small portion of the advertisements littered around campus. We get all the invites to these nights on Facebook anyway – just save the hassle and do it all online.

In all fairness though, without the mad flyering, posters, emails and all the rest, how would students know what to do with themselves?!