St Paddy’s Day Madness

Drinking in enemy territory for St Patrick’s Day!

| UPDATED st patrick's day

As one Edinburgh student put it: “It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.”

The man at the front event co-ordinated his hair colour….

St. Patrick’s Day, observed by the Irish for over 1000 years as the day marking the death of the Patron Saint, St. Patrick, has now been warped by many to be the biggest drinking, and most color-obligated, holiday celebrated all year. And even though Edinburgh lies a great 350.2 km from Dublin, the holiday was celebrated just as vibrantly on the streets of Edinburgh, and just as viciously in the interiors of The Three Sisters.

The Three Sisters (home to Napier’s student union – who knew?) was jam-packed from 9am to 3am with students, adults, and even an elderly man who dyed his beard green, white, and orange (bless him). Not one person managed to stay sober for longer than an hour, and it was not an oddity to see people stumbling out the flag guarded doors as early as 230 pm (unfortunately, they sprinted), their red-eyed, Guinness drenched friends yelling behind them, “go to bed!” and the person responding, “I’ll be back in two hours!”

Yeah right.

St. Patrick’s Day is the only time of the year when people seem united on two things: wearing green and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. It is also one of the only holidays where it is socially acceptable to go back home and sleep for two hours midday just to wake up, rally, and go back out again. Regrettably though, it is also a day where people still think it’s socially acceptable to pee in the streets (it is NEVER socially acceptable). The Three Sister’s did not dye their beers green, much to the apparent disappointment of the crowd, but as for the amount of people leaving falling over one another, and the amount of cabs that reeked of cleaning solution and half-digested liquor, it’s safe to say that Edinburgh went hard.

One of the many life-lovers of the day!

The tale of St. Patrick’s Day 2013 ends on the note of my favorite statement of the night (more or so directly quoted) as said by the DJ *insert strong Irish accent here*:

“Irish dancing was the greatest dance ever invented, the girls can do whatever they want with their legs, but have to keep their arms by their sides as to not cover their boobs.”

Keep it classy, Edinburgh.